Flying another 172

My friend Maciek and I went up today in 7320F, a 160HP C-172 rented by Rick Aviation. The plan had been to take up their 180HP C-172, but it was down for maintenance when we arrived.

Maciek hopes to start flight training soon, so while I preflighted he went looking for the chief CFI to chat about getting started.

The flight went fairly well. I did a couple of stalls so that Maciek could see what those were like and a few steep turns as well. Toward the end of the flight I did a simulated engine out, which didn't go as well as I would have liked but would have turned out ok. I had us too high on the approach to the field I picked out. This was mainly because I was concerned that the 13kt winds would keep us from making the field, but I was too aggressive in getting lined up and had us too high.

Had some major annoyances with the push-to-talk switch on the pilot's side. It had my radio transmissions sounding like a bunch of clicks. I didn't handle it as well as I should have either. I should have started using the handheld mic instead to bypass the issue. I also kind of goofed up with not understanding what the lineman was telling me when it came time to park. I eventually realized he was telling me to park on the north ramp, but it took me a while to understand (every other time they have parked me up front).

So except for those useful "learning experiences" at the end of the flight, it went pretty well. :)

Here's the Google Earth file from today's flight, in all its glory. You can see the steep turns and the 360 I had to do for spacing when coming back to land.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight