G1000 transistion training - flight 1

Yesterday I had my first instructional flight behind a G1000. The flight school recently bought a brand new C172 Nav III (not a leaseback as I had "feared").

My instructor Bill started off showing me the different preflight items in the cabin before I started the external walk around. While I was doing that he wiped down the displays as people have apparently been putting their hands all over the screens for some reason (people tend to like to touch glass panel screens I've noticed, but this was extreme). I guess that is why there is a market for $70 screen protectors.

We cranked up the airplane, which was only mildly different from an older C172 with fuel injection. In the older planes, when I am priming the engine, I will turn on the fuel pump, put the mixture full rich, and then watch the fuel flow needle. Once it moves I turn off the fuel pump, pull the mixture out, and crank the engine. Once the engine fires I push the mixture full rich to keep it running.

In the case of the G1000 C172, the process is the same, except you wait for the fuel flow indicator (on the PFD) to stabilize for a moment, not just show upward movement. Maybe I could wait for "stabilization" in the old plane too, but since my technique has been working in the older airplanes I think I will stick with it.

After getting the MFD booted up, Bill mentioned that they like to use the MFD checklists instead of the paper checklist. The idea is that the paper checklists will deteriorate over time and cost $70 to replace. However, I found I disliked the MFD checklist enough that I will probably just use the paper checklist when flying solo. I think I am paying enough for the aircraft time to have earned that right ($165/hr).

Why I don't like the G1000 checklists:
  • When you get to a section header you can't just keep pressing the "done" key to move to the first item in the section, you have to reach way over to the right to get to the knob and turn it - pretty goofy.
  • If you are halfway through a checklist and want to change the page you are viewing, say to set up your flight plan, you have to press the little "exit" softkey before changing the page. If you don't, as I learned by experience, it loses your place in the checklist and you have to start over again - pretty goofy.
  • In general, the MFD is fairly hard to reach from the pilot's seat, at least with someone sitting the passenger's seat. So that makes me want to avoid it a bit.
After the less-than-ideal experience with the checklist on the ground, I was starting to get worried that I wouldn't like the G1000. However, once we started using it in flight, it really grew on me, especially with the integrating GFC700 autopilot - that is a REALLY cool autopilot.

We flew an approach into nearby Chester airport using the autopilot. The autopilot has indications on the PFD to show what mode it is currently in. But the slick thing is that it shows what mode it will be in next as well. So if you are climbing to altitude in vertical speed mode, you will see VS mode active and ATLS (altitude selected) in the "armed" position - this tells you that it is looking to capture your altitude when you get there. This is even more useful on approaches where mode changes (like capturing the glideslope) are more important to understand.

We went "missed" on the GPS approach into Chester and used the go-around button. That was something that I never understood until learning more about it - but it is very handy. When you need to go "missed" you put in full power and press the go around button with your thumb. That will turn off the autopilot, show you a 7 degree climb on the flight director, and start waypoint sequencing so you can see where you are going next - very slick.

We ended the flight by shooting the ILS back into Rock Hill. Again, I was very impressed by the autopilot and the integration the G1000 provides - setting up your radios, ID'ing the ILS signal, capturing the glideslope, warning you when you reach the decision altitude, etc.

I still can't say if I like the G1000 or the Avidyne more. The G1000 is far more capable - especially with the GFC700 installed, but the Avidyne is SO much easier to use. Ease of use has real value to me, especially in instrument flight.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Welcome to the G1000 club Jason ! It's interesting to read about the experience of an Avidyne pilot.

As you know, I personally prefer the G1000, because of its higher level of integration. I'm looking forward to read more about your training.

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight