Cirrus SR22 Training - last flight

Today was the last day of my Cirrus SR22 transition training – I finally finished! This means I can fly without an instructor and actually be insured while doing so. Part of this training also included a high-performance checkout, but that was accomplished by default as part of all the transition training.

Today we used the morning to focus on instrument approaches. They went fairly well. During the first approach I was mentally behind the airplane a bit. This was mainly due to some minor confusion when we discussed holding pattern entries. That confusion persisted after talking over it on the ground as well so I need to reference the AIM for a little clarification – and maybe another instructor or two.

Other than that issue, the approaches went fine. I did a coupled ILS into Newport News and then flew the published missed approach. Since I did OK with that hold, we just made one turn and asked Norfolk approach for another ILS. This one I hand flew. The approach controller knew I was being evaluated (though this was no “check ride”) and joked around with us about whether I was doing a good job or not. He gave us vectors back around the airport to re-join the ILS and I was pretty happy with my hand flying throughout that exercise. The air was still smooth so I had no excuses for screwing that up.

After the ILS approaches we went back to Williamsburg to refuel ourselves and our airplane.

To finish out the training we performed a few emergency engine out procedures. The first was an engine out enroute. I choose a field that was a bit too close, as I usually do. In this case even slipping was not going to get me down to the field properly so I needed to pick a new field. The new field worked out fine, we would have made it with little trouble.

After that we went over to Wakefield to practice engine outs after takeoff. We did this by acting as if 1500’ AGL was the ground level. We flew the pattern at that height, and maintained it as we flew over the runway on the upwind leg. Midfield I put in full power and performed a climb-out as you would on takeoff. At 500’ above our “hard deck” my instructor pulled the power and I had to see if we’d make it back to the airport. The maneuver to do so was as follows:

Upon engine out immediately pitch down to maintain Vy (100 kts in the SR22) and start a 45 degree bank turn 45 degrees to the right. During this turn try to restart by first swapping fuel tanks and verifying mixture and fuel pump. Right as you have turned 45 degrees to the right, start a 45 degree bank turn to the left all the way around to point to the runway again, still maintaining Vy. Once you are pointing to the runway, pitch up a bit for best glide airspeed until you make the airport.

From 500’ above the hard deck we were just rolling wings level toward the airport when we hit the hard deck. That was with me not nailing the airspeed like I should have, costing altitude. We at least had a small chance of having made the field.

However, from 1000’ up, we would have made it back with little trouble. So that explains why Cirrus says to not try to turn back to the airport before 1000’ AGL. The last thing you want to do is get into a situation where you are turning hard yet pulling back on the stick in an effort to avoid the ground. A stall in a real-life takeoff scenario would be very bad news for the next of kin.

After that we entered the normal traffic pattern and my instructor pulled the power shortly thereafter. I turned in a little early to make sure I could make the runway and made it just fine, though was a little long – we had about 300 feet of runway left after braking during the rollout.

After that my instructor said “We’re all done, take us home” so I departed Wakefield and returned to Williamsburg at 3000’.

It was a good day, especially when I received the high-performance endorsement to my logbook and a certificate of transition training completion! That has been a goal of mine for years!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight