BFR finished

Today Chuck and I finished up my BFR with a local flight. I flew from the right seat for the first time and received an intro to a few new maneuvers (new to me) including:


  • Chandelles
  • Lazy-8s
  • Rolls on a heading


Shortly after we cranked the engine I was running through the rest of the checklist when I noticed that the RPMs were lower than I had set them. I thought "hmm, that's weird" but figured the throttle had just slipped out a bit. I tightened the friction lock and re-set the RPMs. Moments later they were too low again. I paused, increased the throttle, and watched as they start dropping again. Mentioning this the Chuck he remarked that he'd never seen that before, not had I.

My plan was to go out and do a run-up to see if we could clear it out. Chuck did a quick low RPM mag check which seemed fine. Then he had an idea - "let's try the carb heat". He turned it on and the engine RPMs jumped right up to where they were supposed to be. We had carb ice before we even started taxiing. A good learning experience.

Flying from the right wasn't too weird. It took a few minutes of flight to get used to using my left hand for the throttle. I thought I'd have no issue with that since I fly the simulators at home with the throttle in my left hand, but it did feel weird in the plane.

The biggest issue I had was in the flare during landing. My muscle memory about how hard to pull back was incorrect so it took a few landings before I realized that I need to pull back harder than I normally do since my right hand is not so used to yanking the yoke back to flare.

The maneuvers didn't go so well - they are challenging - but they were fun none-the-less!

Here's a clip of the first Lazy-8 I tried:



Krista tagged along in the back seat (she was manning the camera). Here's a montage of the landings I made:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight