IFR flight #9

Today we spent 1.4 hrs working on DME arcs and holds at an intersection (with two radios). We also did some slow flight and 720 degrees worth of steep turns. My slow flight took a while to get settled, had to knock the rust off. The steep turns were pretty good, shot through my target headings but kept my bank and altitude in the OK range.

The DME arc went pretty well. We did a 21nm arc off of the Hopewell VOR starting from the 180 radial and turning left until we got out to the 120 radial. Since it was so far out I had a few minutes b/t each turn, which no doubt helped me settle in better.

The holds at an intersection went pretty well. My situational awareness could use some help, but I didn't have a chart in front of me (and I was learning a new technique) so I can't beat myself up too badly. Some of my holds were actually pretty dead on. I think practicing on Flight Sim the night before helped me out. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight