IFR flight #10

We shot three ILS approaches at KPHF today, with Charles manning the radios. We had a decent crosswind from the left for runway 07 and it was a pretty warm day. I had some trouble nailing down my headings every once and a while but when my scan was keeping up I was occasionally able to hold the needles in their proper place. We went "missed" on the first two approaches and did a touch and go on the last one.

When transitioning from instruments to the landing pattern at JGG I have always had to shake off the IFR flight style to put on my VFR hat. That was especially hard on the ILS b/c you only have about a minute (~200ft) from eyes-up time to touchdown.

After our first approach we circled back to the left via heading 320 at 2000 feet. A flight of F-15s were supposedly performing a fly-by very close to us, at 1000 feet but we never even saw them (or heard them).

My landings were sub-par today, due in no small part to the fact that I haven't flown in 2.5 weeks. I think that landings are the best maneuver to show just how quickly your skills dwindle with lack of practice.

I was behind the airplane a few times today. It will only get worse when I have to do the radios too (switching b/t Norfolk approach and Newport News tower). Should be interesting. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight