IFR flight #11

Today we did 3 VOR approaches; 2 to West Point and 1 when coming back to JGG.

I was way behind the airplane at the start of the lesson and it took me a while to get back on track. This time and last time I have had problems maintaining heading properly, I believe that I am starting to focus too much on the att. indicator, which may be giving me slightly off bank indications. I think I need to focus on the heading indicator a little more.

Anyway, on the second West Point approach we did not go missed; we circled to the right to land on 27 behind another Cessna. I managed to set up the approach fairly well, but when we were just a few feet over the threshold we had to go around. The other Cessna was still on the runway, taking his time getting on the taxiway. He told us he was unfamiliar with the airport and that that caused his delay. I could see that b/c I did the same thing he did when I landed there with Krista a while back (taxied to the end of the runway before exiting). Of course, in my case I was landing way long, so I kinda had to. :)

Anyway, except for being about 30 seconds behind on my tasks, often, things went OK. We crossed JGG mid-field and landed on 13 with right hand traffic on the last approach.

Today I found something I did not like about the Jep. charts I am using; they do not have the awos freq for West Point (KFYJ). I also don't like that they do not show the approaches orientation to the field in the airport diagram (the FAA charts have an arrow showing where you plane should come from at the end of the approach).

I manage to find something that needs improvement every time I fly. I think that is especially the case since I am starting over again after a 7 year lapse and learning new stuff, but I'm sure it will always be the case. I will just hope that it is smaller items needing improvement as I go forward. Of course, having an instructor in the seat beside you is good b/c they can point out problems that you'd miss otherwise, since you are so busy in the IFR environment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight