A touch of ice

This morning I got up early and went out to the airport to crank up for a flight to KCFD, about 800nm away.

I ended up taking off right at sunrise, but didn't get to see much of it. I entered the clouds at about 500' and started talking to Charlotte approach. Before long they had me climbing up to my requested altitude of 10,000'. Around 6,000' I noticed the temperature falling off pretty quickly to get near freezing so I turned on the pitot heat and started watching for ice. Still in the clouds once leveling out at 10,000' I started to see a bit of ice just forming on the wings. I immediately turned on the TKS anti-ice fluid and it started working with a few minutes. I reported the conditions to ATC and, after leaning out the engine for cruise, was paying careful attention to the ice.

After a bit the TKS had cleared most of the slight icing that had accumulated and it appeared that before long I would be out of the clouds, so I stayed put. However, within 5 minutes or so I was back into a bit of light rain that had moved in a touch faster than expected. I re-activated the TKS and requested to go down to 8,000', with the expectation that I'd drop down to 6,000 if it wasn't warm enough at 8,000'.

ATC filed a PIREP or two for me as I reported conditions in the area. At 8,000' ice accretion with TKS off was noticeably slower than it had been at 10,000' but I wasn't going to mess around, I asked for 6,000'. Down at 6 the temps were warm enough that the clouds and rain were passing off the wing instead of sticking to it. Around that time I was also coming out of the rainy area and entering much clearer air. I brought up ForeFlight Mobile and decided to take a look at the PIREPs being fed by the Mobile Link and XM receiver. I was happy to see "my" PIREP show up on the map!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight