Closed up shop

On the way home from the in-laws after Christmas I checked my iPhone email. I found a new message letting me know my flight school, where I was renting an airplane, has gone bankrupt.
I had noticed for a while that there wasn't much activity there so it wasn't a big surprise, but it's still a big disappointment. I feel quite bad for the owners, of course, but that also means I have no way of flying now.

So now I'm once again looking to buy an plane or find an existing aircraft at KUZA that I can buy a share of. I looked closely at a Piper Warrior for a bit but that was scoped up by another buyer. I had a goal to keep enough money aside to put a Aspen PFD in it - all the better for safer IFR flying.

Now I'm looking around some more and trying to find something that fits my purchase budget without having too high of an ongoing cost. Taking a look at older Mooneys and Piper Arrows now.

Comments

ddf said…
I'll be interested in how you decide what to do. It seems the economy cuts both ways, closing the school while at the same time there appear to be great bargains out there. What are your mission requirements? What resources do you use to find information?
Jason (Photon) said…
So far I've tried to sort out the recurring costs involved in owning each airplane I'm researching. I plan to make a post about my findings once I settle in on a decision. I've been searching controller.com, trade-a-plane, and ASO. I've also seen a few airplanes in the shadeports at KUZA that look nice - trying to determine if there is a reasonable way to contact some of the owners to see if they want a partner.
Colin said…
I am on a web forum with a bunch of Diamond owners and a couple have tried the Aspen units. I love the idea and was dismayed to learn that there is tremendous issues with the build quality and support.

In an ideal world they would make for safer IFR flying. I think in the real world they are a huge hassle and waste of a large chunk of cash. One fellow is on his fifth unit. It still doesn't work reliably. He's out $14k so far.
Jason (Photon) said…
Colin, I'd like to check those posts out - is that available on a public link?
John said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said…
I have some history/insight into older mooneys (and in general a high, biased opinion of them). If you have questions please ask. One I know of is

http://sites.google.com/site/n3291f/home

I've flown it and know the owner. Good aircraft and it has a new panel and a sweet auto pilot.
Unknown said…
Millz!

What a bummer! Now is the time to jump on an airplane if you can! I'm selling a share of a 1998 182S but don't know if it will do you too good being based in Florida! haha

-Jason
Darrell said…
Check the Aircraft Partnership Association @ www.theapa.com to see if there are any existing partnerships in your area, or people interested in starting a co-ownership.
Ben Lauer said…
unrelated comment - how did you get your log 10 stats to show up on the right side?
hit me up: benthos at gmail dot com

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight