BFR completed

Today I went up with my instructor Tyson to get my Biannual Flight Review out of the way. This consists of an hour on the ground and in the air for him to make sure I generally know what I am doing with an airplane.

We spent time going over some of the regs about minimum equipment needed to fly into certain airspace, as well as chart symbols on the sectionals (something I am always rusty on as I rarely use those charts).

Then we hopped in the G1000 airplane to get our flight time in. We made a quick weather check before we took off because there is some cold weather coming in tonight - maybe the first snow of the season for us South Carolinians. But the clouds looked like they were just fine and would stay that way long enough for the flight.

So we took off, headed South, and started some slow flight. After that I did a power on stall and Tyson demonstrated how much control you have with the rudder even when the airplane is stalled - it was pretty impressive.

He also showed me how much you can do with the rudder alone when in straight and level flight. He stepped on one rudder all the way to the floor and we rolled right over into a steep bank. A quick step on the other rudder has us rolling right back level. It is quite eye opening how much the rudder can do in the C172 but it's not the way you want to turn normally - the twisting motion makes your balance senses go haywire.

We did a few engine out approaches - two of them away from the airport and one in the pattern. We also practiced a go around to make sure I wasn't rusty on that. I've gone "missed" on enough practice instrument approaches that I was plenty ready for a VFR go-around.

And with that I am all set for the next two year span. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight