Learning the G1000

My local flight school recently got access to a 2008 C172 G1000. They've had a Avidyne Cirrus SR20 in the past, on leaseback I assume, but it was no longer available by the time I moved to the area. It was quite pricey per hour so I would only have flown it a little bit.

My hope is that this new C172 will be available for a while. Being the optimist I am, I have started the required transition training to be allowed to fly the G1000 equipped airplane solo. The fact that I am nuts for glass panels has nothing to do with my optimism, I'm sure. :)

The flight school hooked me up with King School's CD-based transition course: Cleared to fly the G1000. I'm not a big fan of the King's presentation style. The thing that bothers me the most about their style is that they do a half-laugh occasionally, and at odd times, as if you are supposed to find that pushing a certain button at a particular time is humorous. Maybe their acting coach told them that puts the student at ease - I think he deserves a punch in the stomach for being a moron. :) I also wish they offered the courses on OS X.

But goofy style aside, the content of the course is pretty good. I have flown behind a real G1000 for about an hour in the past, and have flown simulated G1000s in MS Flight Sim. After taking the King course I learned:
  • MS Flight Sims representation of the G1000 has no real-world value, unless you just want to practice your flight instrument scan
  • The G1000 is very powerful but some features are far from intuitive. I don't see how one could remember a few of the combination of inputs you need to do in certain cases, unless you practiced it at least weekly. Since I don't fly for a living, I won't practice all of that each week, so I will have to make a few custom checklists to guide me.
  • I will want the Garmin G1000 simulator for practicing at home
  • The go-around button on most G1000 airplanes is cooler than I thought - not only does it set your flight director to show a climb out, but it also starts the missed approach sequence and disables the autopilot for you - pretty cool.
  • The "reversionary" mode - where you can merge all the essential info on one screen - has limited value. It mostly just protects against a very rare failure - an LCD going dark or corrupt. That said, I have experienced a corrupted Avidyne MFD before (it made rainbow colors appear on the screen when it got too warm).
I'm still not sure which glass panel I would want if all else was equal - Avidyne or Garmin. I imagine I'll know for sure once I get some real time in the airplane - I look forward to it!

Comments

Unknown said…
Interesting story!
I am starting my glass transition in the G1000 in November (in other words very soon... :))

I have tried the G1000 in MS FSX a few times just to get a feel for the instrument scan on glass. From that "test" it seems like the scan requires less effort than with round gauges. From what I have heard from others that should apply to the real thing as well. I can't wait to try it out for real and find out for sure. :)

Cheers,
Axel Smidt
Pilot-Net.com
Plastic Pilot said…
Nice post. I did not use any PC-based simulator before converting from gauges to the G1000, because I had no suitable PC. I used the book from Max Trescott, not the Kings, and had no problem with the style.

Do you consider including some ground simulator (I mean something like an FNPT-II or FTD) before taking it in flight ? I did so, and it helped a lot, as I could focus on the G1000 only, excluding flying, weather, traffic, and so on.

PlasticPilot

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight