Proud (partial) first-time airplane owner

Today I purchased a 1/4 share in a Cessna 172-I, N35388. The airplane was built 9 years before I was born, but has been well maintained and updated over the years to keep it from getting too out-of-date. It has a VFR GPS (a Garmin 250xl) and a relatively new paint job.

This is the first airplane I have been an owner of and I'm excited to start taking overnight trips with it soon. Having never made an overnight trip before (since I've always rented airplanes) I am looking forward to seeing what new flight-planning curve balls those types of trips throw my way. My underlying plan is to make sure I have a flexible schedule, since I will not be pushing any limits when the weather is involved.

Some of its interesting traits, being an older 172, is that the right-side door does not have a window and there is no step-up to get to the fuel tanks - you need a little ladder. The airspeed indicator is in MPH. It also has old style switches (push-rod type) and a mixture that can't be twisted to make small adjustments (it just operates like the throttle push-rod). Another interesting point is that you are to switch to single-tank fuel feeding when you reach 5000' because of the possibility of a type of fuel-line vapor lock. Apparently Cessna was never able to really reproduce the potential problem, but they issued the AD for it anyway as a precaution. That's probably good practice for me anyway in the event that I move to a low wing airplane in the future (as they tend to operate in single tank feed mode all the time).

So my first tasks now that I am part owner are to:
  • Get another hour or so under my belt in the plane
  • Get a overnight trip under my belt
  • Get a credit card on file at JGG for fuel charges
  • Update the 250XL database with current data
  • Train my dog to wear hearing protection so he can join us on flights

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight