Satefy pilot, then under the hood again

Today Tom and I took his C-172 up for some practice instrument approaches. I was safety pilot for the first half of the trip. Tom shot a couple of VOR-based approaches at Franklin, KFKN, and then the NDB approach into Wakefield.

During this time I was busy looking for traffic and admiring the severe clear air. We had thunderstorms that morning, but they were out of the way for out 10:15 AM lift off time. I expected them to leave behind some choppiness in the air - instead they just took the haze away.

There was some haze to be found though, well, really it was smog I guess. Franklin has some sort of processing plant just east of the airport. It was churning a nice cloud of white up into the westerly wind. From there the smog was drifting across the 9/27 runway. It didn't affect visibility too badly but the smell was quite noticeable each time we made a low pass of the field.

After Tom landed us at Wakefield we switched drivers and it was my chance to get some time in under the hood - or foggles as it were. I took us straight back to the processing plant area to shoot the same approaches Tom had just finished. I guess I just couldn't get enough of those fumes. The sun was out now and the thermals and chop started up a little bit. They contributed to a few altitude and heading excursions (yes, that's it - couldn't have been me that contributed - no way).

After the two low passes at FKN we pointed north to meet up with the Harcum VOR. A quick 180 degree turn and we were heading back down to JGG for a circle-to-land on runway 31.

I landed a bit long so we had some taxiing to do to get back to the parking spot. After parking we watched a P-51 do a really low pass over the runway and then come back to land. As he landed, the P-51's engine was growling and spitting - little backfires sounding like it was just daring you to screw with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight