First Solo IFR Flight (in VFR)

Today I did my first solo flight under an IFR flight plan. It went really well, helped in no small part by very still, cold air. I went to RIC and did the ILS34 approach. From there I shot the full VOR approach into New Kent (W96) and then the VOR back into JGG for 1.5 hours of engine-running time.

The ILS went really well, I had it on "rails" all the way down to decision height. Once it was trimmed up the airplane flew right down the glideslope without much help needed from me.

The rest of the approaches went well too, though I did come in a little high on my circle-to-land into JGG. I'd rather be too high than too low any day though. :)

Things I learned/relearned today:

  • If you are getting "vectored-to-final" you don't have to do the procedure turn
  • Entering the hold (an approach hold/PT) counts as the procedure turn (you don't have to do a full loop unless you need to lose altitude or need time to get setup - any extra loops require ATC notification/approval)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight