IFR flight #16 - hood time

Today I went up with Bill acting as my safety pilot. Bill is also an instructor at JGG working on his CFII.

We shot one ILS 7 at PHF and then the VOR-A at FYJ. We had to call off the VOR approach a little early due to skydivers, but I got to practice what I really needed to.

We did some steep turns and then a DME-arc on the way back to JGG. My DME arc technique was OK, but I was reading the wrong distance number on the GPS so I ended up getting way off course. Not good. I feel that I could get a lot from practicing those on the simulator, so I might not worry too much about doing these in real life practice.

Other things I screwed up on this flight:
- forgot to dial in the inbound course into the OBS when shooting the ILS
- forgot to turn on the marker beacon audio on the ILS
- forgot to start the time at the FAF on the VOR-A into FYJ
- did not maintain altitude when setting up for the steep turns (did ok in the turns themselves though).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight