2009 goals

As the new year rolls in, which of course happened months ago, people tend to think about "resolutions" - their goals for the new year. I'm a little slow, so mine are just now really starting to take shape.

Not surprisingly, mine focus on aviation. My goals for this year are:
  • Become a certified advanced ground instructor
  • Become a certified instrument ground instructor
  • Get my commercial license
I have a bonus goal as well, which is less likely to get fulfilled this year: become a CFI. That has been a goal in the back of my head for years now - it's finally starting to break loose and get into the forefront of my thoughts. But first things first - my main goals are step stones on my path to becoming a CFI (what a coincidence!).

To become a certified ground instructor my understanding is that I will need to pass two written exams - the first is the "fundamentals of instruction". The FOI tests my knowledge on how people learn. The second is the FAA Flight Instructor - Airplane (FIA) exam. This one tests my knowledge on the aviation topics I need to master.

To upgrade to an instrument ground instructor I will take a test very similar to the instrument written exam I took to get my instrument rating. That exam is based on the same overall set of questions, but tends to test you on the hardest ones from the group. My memory of the instrument written I have already taken is "that was TOUGH" - can't wait to see the harder version.

Comments

powellua said…
Congratulations on determining specific "resolutions". I've also focused on resolutions dealing with flying. Lately, I've been pursuing a flying opportunity in a Cirrus SR-20. I hope this and other opportunities will continue to build up more hours to get closer to getting my commercial then onto the elusive CFI certificate.

Would you have any other information on the ground instructor certificates? (How to get them, what to study, registering, etc). I've been interested in this in the past.

Let me know if you ever visit Nashville. I might be able to arrange an airport/airfield tour.

Jeff - powellua@gmail.com
Jason (Photon) said…
Jeff, thanks for the comment.

I highly recommend Cirrus aircraft, I'm a big fan. :)

As for the ground certification, I have used this for reference so far:
http://www.gleim.com/aviation/flight_ground/gireqs.php

I believe you just mail your test results in to the FAA to get the certification but I don't have it all figured out yet.

I will definitely let you know if I make it up Nashville way!
Unknown said…
Awesome job on setting up some goals!

Goal oriented flight training is crucial, in fact I have a pending post that is scheduled for this evening on my site.

Best of luck meeting your goals!

-Jason
www.m0a.com
Simon Twigger said…
Hi, enjoyed the post about your goals for 2009 - I'm trying to do the same thing! I did the FOI and IGI last year and the AGI is up next. Target is completion by OSH09 and Im looking for some virtual study buddies to keep the motivation going. If you are still on track for this let me know and perhaps we can push each other to get it done?

Best,

Simon,
http://taxiintoposition.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight