JetPROP Demo Flight

I recently had the pleasure of taking a demo flight in a new friend's JetPROP airplane. A JetPROP is a Malibu/Mirage converted to use a Pratt & Whitney PT6A turbine engine and a Hartzell 4-blade reversible propeller. It is apparently the better way to go for a turboprop Piper vs. buying the Meridian (the JetPROP has more horsepower, better climb performance, lower fuel flows, and near-equal cruise speeds).

I took some video of the flight which I have embedded below. Unfortunately youTube blurred the videos a good bit, but it will have to do for now. :)

BTW, if you'd like to see a professional video of a very similar aircraft, the Piper Meridian, check out FlightVideoProductions (they have a few other cool videos for sale as well - think I will get the Col 400 one).

Part 1:


Part 2:

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice avionics... nice plane. And the turbine sound is so lovely.
DaveG said…
I use Vimeo to host videos - they don't mush them up in the way YouTube does,
Jason (Photon) said…
DaveG, thanks, I will try that out!
Unknown said…
The JetProp is a fantastic plane. Really incredible performance compared to the other turbine singles. 3000 fpm climb rates, and I have seen overspeed "problems" with the stock 1500 fpm IFR cruise climb rate.

Glad you enjoyed the flight. I get to fly them full time wandering the globe as a career.

For some of my worldwide JetProp trip photos and oceanic JetProp adventure stories, take a look at my site at www.holland.aero (media and photos are the best two sections).

Safe flying!
Travis Holland
Jason (Photon) said…
Travis, thanks for the comment.

That is absolutely an incredible airplane! It's a bit too complex for me, but boy does it move! :)

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed reading some of those PDFs...

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight