Night current for another 90 days

I went down to PHF tonight to go around the pattern 3 times with my instructor, Charles, and his daughter. This was to get night current again in the hopes of taking my wife for a sunset flight sometime soon.

I was surprised how hard it was to see runway 20 from the air, at least until you get on final. I think they had the lights down low so that larger aircraft coming in on 25 didn't get distracted. Runway 25 was quite easy to spot.

My landings were fairly cruddy, especially when we did a simulated landing-light-out scenario on the last approach. I got the flare setup OK but must have overworked the rudders because we landed with side load, even though the winds were fairly mild. I should have used my peripheral vision more during the flare.

We had a cloudy night so it was a good way to get re-familiarized with real low light flying.

While I was there Charles told me about an open-house that the company he works for, iAviate, is having next weekend. I hope to convince the wife to go with me down to Norfolk on the 13th for the event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight