First solo in actual IFR

Krista and I went up today (for 1.7hrs total time) with the hopes of punching through a few clouds. We got the chance to do just that, with clouds at 2500' and a scattered layer in places at 1500'.


Today added about 0.2 hours of actual instrument time to my logbook, and one of the approaches was ~70% in the clouds (once we came down the glideslope we broke out of the soup fairly quickly). I re-learned how easy it is to get your head turned around with respect to the attitude of the airplane when in the clouds. But my training must have worked because focusing on the instruments and keeping a good scan going kept me feeling on top of things. This was also the first time I have flown out of a towered airport solo since taking up flying again last year. My radio work was fine, though I mumbled once or twice. :)

Here is a video of us entering a cloud on the way to KORF:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight