IFR flight #8

When I pulled up to the airport today there was a sizable Jet on the new part of the ramp, fueling up. I was kind of surprised that he could even get into JGG and I wondered why he landed there instead of Newport News 10 minutes away. I'll never know.

Today we started on holding patterns. We did a few holds relative to the HCM VOR practicing the three different entry methods: direct, parallel, and teardrop. I started to get the hang of it a bit, although I obviously have tons more to learn/polish. My instructor taught me a nice way to determine the entry method using the outbound course relative to your heading (described here)

The ASOS at the airport was saying that there was quite a decent wind on the field as we headed back to land. It was saying a near-90-degree crosswind of about 11 kts gusting to 18. Ugh. But, the landing was uneventful. I think maybe the wind sensor was just getting some little stream of air that wasn't affecting the runway (the windsock was pretty dead).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight