Standby Compass: StepperTest


Yesterday I finally received the EasyDriver stepper driver and the X27-168 steppers(no more AliExpress orders if I can help it - took weeks to arrive).  

I opened up the motor and removed the tiny plastic tab that was keeping it from spinning 360.  I soldered headers on one of the EasyDrivers for prototyping and soldered some solid core wire to the little leads on the motor.  

After wiring it all up on the breadboard I used this code to see it run.

For the connections: you need to put one coil's wire pair on the A pins for the EasyDriver and the other coil's on the B pins.  There is no polarity so the A coil wires can go on plus or minus.  I put the 12v power on the M+ and GND pin pair.  Then these as well:

// EasyDriver -> Nano
stp -> 2
dir -> 3
MS1 -> 4
MS2 -> 5
EN  -> 6
GND (by step pin) -> GND

Do not connect/disconnect the motor when power is applied. Power is constantly flowing to keep motor still and changing connection when powered will kill EasyDriver.

Things learned:
  • Where I stored my pin vise (took a bit to find it) 😀😀
  • Dupont connectors on breadboard wires DO NOT accept solder
  • The OmniFixo seems to be working well for me
  • A sharp utility knife is a good way to split a row of header pins into smaller groups - just make sure to hold down each side when you cut else things go flying



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight