Flying in Canada

For some ForeFlight work I spent a bit of time in Canada recently. We had the privilege to get some flying in, in a gorgeous C182 with a G1000. This was a tour of the capital area, complete with an overflight of downtown before landing (not something we'll ever do over the U.S. capital).

We even caught a few glimpses of a concert below, with an impressive light show, and a video presentation that was shone on the Parliament central building.

The flight was at sunset, and was one of those perfect flights - light winds, cool temps, perfect sky. I haven't had a flight like that since I used to live in Williamsburg and flew with my buddy John.

It was a pretty interesting experience. The primary differences that popped out to me were:
  • Instead of talking to the traffic in the area of the airport (CYND, Gatineau) we talked to "radio" (FSS) and told them our intentions. They gave us a heads up on other traffic and advisories on when to enter the runway. My understanding is that they have no real authority, but you tend operate as if they do.
  • There were french speaking pilots in the pattern, so Radio was translating back-and-forth to keep everyone on the same page. That would drive me nuts. :)
  • They have a TFR over the Parliament buildings, but it is something like 1000' high.







Comments

Lara Kaufmann said…
I am on the planning committee for the Southeast Aviation Show to be held in Greenville, SC on Oct. 29th. I am trying to get in touch with Jason Miller. Could you have him email me at LaraLKaufmann@gmail.com the aviation show will have a few novice enthusiasts demoing the app and we would like you to be here with a booth, demos, etc.
I bet that was a very beautiful flight. That is what I love about flying VFR. To me it's still about the view.
Tommy Eldridge
www.PrivatePilotInsider.com

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight