First-time Passengers

Yesterday I had the chance to take someone on their first flight in a small aircraft. He (Steven) is the son of a co-worker of mine and both he and his mom joined me for a 30 minute flight in the area local to KJGG. He's a big fan of airplanes and I hoped he'd get a kick out of the flight. Apparently he did, as his mom said he told everyone he saw afterward that he was a "total pilot" now - and if that pose in the picture doesn't say "total pilot" then nothing does. :)


Steven sat up front (on a small pillow) with my spare headset engulfing his head like it was trying to swallow him alive. I let him take the controls for a bit and he seemed to get the hang of it fairly well. I told him to lightly push the yoke forward and the slight descent gave his mom a little touch of a nervous feeling - but both she and he did great! :)

I tried out my iPod in flight for the first time that day. It worked very well. There is a normal 3.5mm stereo input in the airplane and the audio panel auto-mutes it when radio or intercom signals are active. That means the music goes in and out a lot but that's fine since it avoids the potential for Coldplay to step on a radio transmission in flight.

We landed back at JGG with one of the crummier, bouncy landings I've had in a while - too much speed on final. After dropping them off I flew my wife back to PHF for our date (yes, I flew her to the movies - top that!).

On a less than great note, I felt my flying was pretty sloppy yesterday at times. A couple of poor landings, a few radio stutters, and I thought I actually busted into airspace without proper permission at one point. I even filled out the NASA form to fess up to my stupidity, once I got home. But this morning it dawned on me to check if the airspace was even in effect when I blundered in - thankfully I found out it was not by looking in the Airport Facility Directory. Normally it is class-D airspace, but since it was the weekend it happened to be class-G. So I got out of that by the skin of my teeth, and learned a strong lesson about proper planning of flight paths.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight