Practicing maneuvers under the hood @ JGG

Today we went up for 1.4 hours to practice some air work (stalls, slow flight, unusual attitudes, steep turns, etc.).

I needed to be a little quicker on my throttle changes during some of the slow flight - I lost 200 feet at one point because I was trying to use too small of corrections in the throttle setting.

The steep turns were pretty good. We did a couple of extra ones to try to come around and hit our own wake to bounce the plane a little bit. We made it work a few times. :) I am a fan of G-forces, at least the minor G-forces you get in steep turns - I could sit there and do those all day (if I set the trim right).

We ended the practice by shooting the VOR-B approach into Williamsburg partial panel. I did fairly well on that except for shooting right by the initial approach fix (the HCM VOR) at first. But I just flew out to get some room from the VOR and turned back in. I did fine the second time. I even remembered to start the timer at the final approach fix and to broadcast my intentions to land on the radio (forgot the before-landing checklist though).

I still have plenty of polishing to do, but was fairly comfortable today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs