IFR flight #17

Today Charles and I spent 1.8 hours in the IFR system by shooting an ILS approach at Chesterfield County and then Richmond; and the VOR approaches (partial panel) into New Kent and Williamsburg.

This was my second time doing partial panel non-precision approaches and they went reasonably well. We also assumed that we lost VOR #2 on the JGG approach which required me to bounce VOR #1 b/t two stations so that I could know when I reached the HIGAL intersection. I did a little better on remembering to start the timer at the final approach fix.

Things I screwed up on:

  • Big one: busted the minimums at New Kent because I had the wrong altitude number in my head - why did I do that? I think it was the combo of having talked to some many controllers (and memorizing numbers they gave me) and trying to figure out the magnetic compass errors for the partial panel work I was doing. No excuse, but they are things to look out for as I move forward
  • I lost 100ft of altitude almost everytime I slowed down to 90kt cruise. I will trim up more aggressively from now on when I reduce power
  • I bumbled on the radio once or twice, but I think that is a matter of just needing more time on the mic
  • Once again I forgot to turn on the Marker beacon audio on the ILS's
Charles told me to look towards getting the IFR written test done as soon as I can. I bought a study guide from Jeppesen today, along with some new approach charts.

I want to get some night flying in before too long since I have not done that in years. Plus it is supposed to be a good way to simulate IFR conditions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating data on the Garmin Perspective system

Hiking to Rocky Peak in Steamboat Springs

G1000 transistion training - emergencies - final flight